In order to create awareness on youth employment issues, a youth employment network will be established in all three regions, Somaliland, Puntland and south central Somalia. Through this youth portal, Somali youth will be able to get access to and exchange knowledge and know-how on youth employment. The youth website will act as a platform and service provider focusing on policy advice, innovative pilot projects, knowledge sharing, and brokering partnerships. The website will act as an entry point to the establishment of a fully fledged network in all three regions built on the following guiding principles;
- Youth participation – strong commitment to processes where young people influence and share control and responsibility for any decision, strategies and plans which affect them.
- Youth empowerment – strong commitment to processes and actions which enable young men and women to participate fully, responsibly and effectively in national and community life.
- Respect for the environment and sustainable practices – respect and acknowledgement of the fragility of natural environment and the need to ensure that the needs of the present are met without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their needs.
- Inclusiveness of minority and marginal groups – commitment to non discrimination and access by all young people, especially those from minority groups and disadvantaged circumstances, to youth development services, programs and resources.
- Participation and collaboration – obligation by all stakeholders in youth development – government ministries, civil society organisations, international development agencies, private sector and young people – to cooperate and collaborate to ensure maximum positive outcomes for young men and women.
Using the website and awareness created during the launch, youth and youth networks will be encouraged to:-
- register as a Somali Youth for Employment member through the online registration form
- join and actively participate in youth employment discussions through the discussion forums within the website.
- post information on youth related projects undertaken
- suggest further improvements on the website
Once the Youth Employment Portal has been established, the website will be handed over to the network to ensure ownership by the Youth.